Close
  • 912

    The River Duero basin was resettled. Some settlers built a church in honour of St. Cecilia opposite the town of Valbuena de Duero within the Alfoz de Peñafiel rural territory.

  • 1477

    Peñafiel and the Valbuena Monastery fought over the estate, along with its village, for over three years. It was in 1477 when the monks and the council would reach an agreement. The latter would have the jurisdiction and the arable land (sowing cereals) and the monks would have the forest cover (timber, hunting and grazing)

  • 1577

    The name Vega de Sicilia appeared for the first time in 1577 to refer to the estate.

  • 1864

    After Toribio Lecanda bought the estate from the Marquis of Valbuena in 1848, his son, Eloy Lecanda, started to professionally make wine at the winery.

  • 1882

    The production facilities were completed and today they are offices and ageing warehouses. Eloy Lecanda received numerous awards for the wines produced at Vega Sicilia.

  • 1888

    The estate did not thrive due to Eloy's lack of ability as a trader and manager and it was sold to Pascual Herrero Bux, who would own it for less than 10 years.

  • 1897

    The property was bought at auction by Antonio Herrero Vázquez, who was not a relative of the previous owner. Just a few years later, three of his eight children (Luis, Félix and Ignacio) would inherit it and it would later be passed to Félix's children. The estate, winery and wines prospered greatly during these three generations.

  • 1907

    Cosme Palacio, from La Rioja and who was the tenant of the estate and winery with the Herreros, brought Txomin Garramiola to be in charge of the wine production. Those wines would offset the damage caused by the phylloxera in La Rioja.

  • 1950

    Prodes, the seed company, bought the estate from the Herrero family. The company Bodegas Vega Sicilia S.A. was set up at this time and another of the most important figures in the history of the winery, Jesús Anadón, would emerge.

  • 1965

    The estate was sold to Hans Neuman, a Venezuelan from a Czech-Jewish family and living in Venezuela, who decided to buy the winery after he had tasted the wines in New York.

  • 1982

    The Álvarez family bought the winery from the Neumanns and this marked the start of one of the most prosperous periods in the history of the company.

  • 2014

    Coinciding with the 150th anniversary, the most important modernisation of the vineyard and winery were completed.

The wine oremus

"Tokaj, the wine of kings and king of wines" is how Louis XIV described it when he tasted it and the legend of the Tokaj has steadily grown over its more than four hundred year history. Yet it would not be until 1630 when the greatness of the Oremus vineyard was first mentioned and today it enjoys the highest universal recognition.

More
Close

The Tokaj area, Tokaj-Hegyalja is located on a mountain chain in north-eastern Hungary. The town of Tolcsva and the Oremus wineries are located in geographical centre of that region.

 

In 2002, the UNESCO World Heritage Committee recognised the exceptional winemaking conditions of the Tokaj region, its secular capacity to foster culture and its value, and awarded it World Heritage status.

 

In 1993, just 3 years after the fall of Communism, the Alvarez family turned its sights to Hungary and founded Tokaj-Oremus Viñedos y Bodegas. The estate's activities are mainly based in Tolcsva, where a modern winemaking winery was built in 1999 and is connected to the maze of cellars that have been found there since the 13th century.

 

The Álvarez family placed great emphasis on the respectful and detailed study of this wine to establish its production process and its history. It also strived as far as possible to conserve the tradition when it oversaw the works to build the new winery.

 

In order to manage the new project, which was based around one of the best located and most iconic vineyards of the region, it recruited a driven professional team, with in-depth knowledge of the land, and it looked for an experienced and full-time local winemaker to place it at the head of that group.